Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is Mindfulness?

Now that I am able to sit longer than a few minutes at a time after injuring my back I started surfing the net for "Mindfulness" and came across this wonderful write up: http://www.jimhopper.com/mindfulness/ by Jim Hopper, Ph.D.

"Psychologist and mindfulness meditation teacher Jon Kabat-Zinn has simply defined mindfulness in this way: 'paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.' This sounds simple, but mindfulness is a skill that takes practice to cultivate and maintain."

Enter Zentangle®! Zentangle allows you to reach this level of mindfulness without realizing it. You are focused on the feel of the paper and the pen in your hand; you pay attention to the ink flowing from the pen and follow the ink roads that create easy repetitive patterns.

I encourage you to read this article as it is a little lengthy to be able to copy. In my opinion it is the epitome of what the basic practice of Zentangle is. As much as I love seeing Zentangle Inspired Art (and I am completely guilty of creating ZIA's) I find Zentangle at it's basic original form is best for achieving the mindfulness state.

No comments:

Post a Comment