Friday, September 7, 2012

Enjoying vacation...

I am so thankful I have had this week off! It allowed me time to sit down and do the things I enjoy doing... Zentangle® and Zentangle Inspired Art (ZIA). A while ago I had bought a book, Zenspirations: Letters & Patterning by Joanne Fink and Published by Design Originals, as the title was snazzy and it was another way to use Zentangle. When it arrived and I opened it two things happened: First, I was intimidated by the lettering and thought I could never create lettering like that! Second, I didn't have the time to really sit and read the book and enjoy it for what it truly is.

This week I looked at the book and thought I am ready to give it a try; what's the worst thing that could happen? If I didn't like what I produced I could either set it aside and leave it or keep practicing until I found my own flair with it. Besides she had some wonderful tangles in there that I needed to draw out on ATC cards and stick in my binder of tangles. As I was recreating the tangles I also started to really read into the book.

I became so engrossed in this book and wanting to try her lettering style that I am just realizing I got completely side-tracked from creating my tangle binder! LOL. Anyway, I had made these little art journals out of some beautiful scrapbooking paper and card stock - it would be a great place to practice this lettering.   I drew out the letter "D" and thought to myself, "ok, it's alright..." and kept going. I created the word "Dream" and added the patterns Joanne Fink shows in her book. It turned out pretty decent, but what if I try larger...


Above was my final result: 8" x 10" on Bristol Board paper colored with Prisma color pencils. I have done several more with quotes and names that will be Christmas gifts, so I cannot post them at this time. It didn't take long for my own flair to come through - I can see a difference already in the ones I have done and I am happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment